Friday, December 21, 2012

Mixing Plaids

I got this really lovely jumper from Dusana at Cuddly Cacti as part of our Flock Together Secret Santa gift swap! I love dresses that button all the way down the front because they are so versatile. You can wear it like a dress, or unbuttoned like a jacket and layer it so many different ways. It was a lot of fun to go out shopping for someone else and you can check our collective blog on Christmas Eve to see how all the girls styled their gifted dresses! 


I decided to pile on the layers for this look as the dress was a bit small on me. I was wary of the bottom button popping off because my hips are just that awesome you guys ;) I just got these tights and I loved how they looked with the dark green/navy colors in the dress. The white blouse seemed like the perfect balance to keep the outfit classic. I added a hat and blazer which turned this into an ensemble with a slightly menswear feel to it. I wasn't sure if things looked right when I left the house, but the more I look at it the better I like how all of the colors and proportions look together.








Ok, confession time. It was right around 11 degrees when I decided to traipse outside to take some photos with my trusty tripod. I'd like to say living in SD has made me hearty, but really it could be that I'm just completely insane. I'm going with the latter...
Because it is so freezing I bring along a ridiculous faux fur parka that my husband's grandmother gave me to a couple of years ago. I don't know what this thing is made of but it is the warmest thing I have ever put on my body. It is humongous and I look nonsensical running across the street in my heels and this beast of a coat, but I don't care. It keeps me warm :)
So laugh if you will, here is my winter blogging essential coat!



Sean and I had a fun night watching one of my very favorite Christmas movies by only the light of our little tree. We watched 'The Nativity Story.' It was made just a few years ago and is the most real interpretation I have seen of what Mary and Joseph must have went through during the months leading up to the birth of Jesus. It gives one a renewed appreciation for the real meaning of the season. I highly recommend checking it out.  :)
God Bless, 
KJA

Luke 2: 6-7
And while they were there, the time came for her baby to be born. She gave birth to her first child, a son. She wrapped him snugly in strips of cloth and laid him in a manger, because there was no lodging available for them.


Wearing:
Necklace- Mama's
Dress-Gift
Tights-Target
Hat- Old Navy
Boots- Kohl's
Blazer, Blouse- Vintage, thrifted



ps: So glad you all survived the 'apocalypse' with me. We should all go out and celebrate together :) When are you all coming to visit me?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a cute idea! I'm loving this dress - can't wait to see what you guys bought for each other!

Also, that dress looks amazing on you, especially paired with that awesome blazer.

Glad you had a fun night watching Xmas movies!

xoxo,
Laura
http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

squidword said...

gorgeous coat and dress!! love the mixture of patterns!! amazing hat and boots!! stunning color on your tights!!
http://mychoicesaremystyle.blogspot.gr/

Kristian said...

You brave thing for getting out in that cold! I love this look on you and that coat is fantastic.

Ali Hval said...

11 degrees... Katie, I have mad respect for you right now! You go girl for getting out in that freezing cold weather to take these pictures. :)

I seriously love this combination of colors, too. Stunning! The yellow and blue together like that look so darn good. :)

Keit said...

Hahahah, that coat is huge girl. But good for cold,indeed :-D I love the outfit, so boyish and stylish! Greqt blazer and dress :-)

Megan Butcher said...

Love this look - so classic yet modern and fun at the same time - dress & tights are particularly fab! :)

<3 Meg
http://kiddotv.blogspot.com

megcasson said...

gorgeous pictures.
gorgeous outfit!

www.kindoflovely.com

The Dragonfruit said...

Lol "my hips are just that awesome" xD I totally know the feeling too. When I go thrift shopping my awesome hips get in the way of me and too many vintage dresses/skirts. Ah well, having hips is better in my opinion anyway ;)
Love how you styled this pretty button down dress! It fits your style so perfectly.
Omgsh, 11 degrees? Yup, I'd have to say you're insane. Haha, I know I couldn't do it. When it gets down in the 30s here in Idaho I'm piling on sweaters, socks, scarves, EVERYTHING to stay warm. Its ridiculous how cold I get. I like to say it's because I'm still a California girl at heart.
And that coat truly is a beat. A warm, furry beast!

Enter to win a $30 giftcard to Rire!
Trendy Teal

Dus of Cuddly Cacti said...

holy moly 11 degrees you are tough indeed! And wow that dress looks amazing on you!! i didnt know you liked button down dresses but yay, what perfect luck! i love it w/ those yellow tights & the blazer, such a pretty mix of menswear with sweet! And I always have trouble w/ those final buttons too, usually I'll just leave 'em unbottoned & go w/ longer spandex shorter underneath or tights/leggings actually but aaah you look SO amazing in this, one ofm y fav looks of yours def and so glad it fits!!