Saturday, January 5, 2013

Tulip Trench

I had been looking for a different trench coat for a very long time. The one that I wore previously was 25 cents at a rummage sale and while it fit, it was much too long for a shortie like me. I needed to wear heels with it to make myself look proportionate. A few weeks ago I found this alternative at my favorite thrift spot! It has a unique construction for a trench coat. The sleeves come together in almost a bubble shape, there is no collar, and the skirt meets in the middle like two petals, creating an interesting  look to it. I was smitten when I saw it and especially smitten with the fact that I had found a thrifted one!


I liked that I could layer my collar and necklace on the outside of the coat. In winter a lot of times one feels like they just cover up everything with their coat, but this way I can still show a bit of my personality with layering!






I forced the hubby to go shopping with me today (actually it was his idea because HE needs a new coat. Certainly not me :)). I found this necklace and ring at Charlotte Russe. I don't shop there much, but if I'm in the mood for accessories they're the place to go. Their prices are super cheap and if  it's something trendy one can't go wrong trying it out first rather than shelling out big bucks for something that you may not wear very much. I got this necklace and a set of six fun little rings for 10  bucks. Done deal!





I really wanted to showcase the blazer underneath, but we had a warm couple of days that led to a cold snap this afternoon and I wasn't about to go without a coat! You get the idea anyway :) Plus I love that the outrageous color of these tights seemed to match a hue within the plaid of the blazer-bonus!





Well my darlings, I hope you all have a lovely weekend. Tomorrow is my nephew's 4th birthday party-that little stinker isn't supposed to be growing up so fast! At any rate I will have a blast seeing family yet again. :)

God Bless all!
KJA


I have been reading through Job recently and marveling at so many things written in that book. The fact that there could still be praise left in Job's heart after everything he went through is astounding and such a great lesson for us to think on. I know that even when I have minute hardships it can sometimes be difficult for me to praise God in those situations. Job had literally EVERYTHING taken away from him, including his health, and he STILL praised the Lord. Job knew that we don't always see the big picture and that our suffering will produce strength in the long run. At the end, everything was restored to Job and the Lord blessed Him greatly. It just took a bit of trust and endurance.

Job 1:21
“Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
    and naked I will depart.[c]
The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away;
    may the name of the Lord be praised.”


Wearing:
Blazer, Dress, Trench Coat, Bag, Belt- Thrifted
Shoes- Hand me down
Jewelry- Charlotte Russe
Tights- Target

9 comments:

Unknown said...

That trench is so adorable; very unique! Love it! :) Glad that you had a lovely shopping day with your man. :P

xoxo,
Laura
http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

Ali Hval said...

It's hard to find pieces that make you look proportionate sometimes, isn't it? haha, I'm glad I'm not alone on that.

But hey, that trench is so lovely! I'm glad that you found it. :D I also adore how yout tights match your necklace. You and your colorful tights...! <3

Michelle said...

Love everything about this outfit, the trench, the necklace and the tights are so perfect together!

Kristian said...

I think a trench coat is such a fun addition to a wardrobe and this one is fun because you can show the collar.

joy said...

This outfit is sooo awesome! I love that trench coat (so cool how it doesn't have a collar and that it looks like a tulip). And the outfit layering inside is just genius. I LOVE the pattern/color mixing and the tights are such a pretty color.

LyddieGal said...

the shape of the coat is really so unique and pretty - and layering over the collar is a creative move. Its so fun to show case your jewels on the outside!

Chic on the Cheap

Jessi said...

Ok those tights are incredible! I don't know how I would wear them but I LOVE that color! And I can't get over that necklace and collar combo peeking out of the top of your trench - so darling!
-Jessi
haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

Lily Fang said...

So in love with your coat! Your wintery photos are great too. That necklace and those bright tights are absolutely adorable.

Unknown said...

What a fresh color for winter! Love the blue :)

xoxo
Nike O.
www.eighthundredsqft.com