Sunday, March 9, 2014

Devotional: Combating Lies 6

Good morning all! It's time again for a Sunday Devotional. My series right now is looking at different lies that we may believe about ourselves, and how to combat those lies using scripture. Here are number one, number two, and number three , and number four  and number five if you are interested!


The sixth lie is this: I am not good enough/ imperfect

The truth is this: I am perfect in Christ

Key Scriptures:

Hebrews 10:14- For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

Colossians 2:9-10- For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10 and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority.

Ephesians 2:10-  For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

I am going to be straight with you here. I am so sick of pinterest and tumbler blogs posting countless pictures of girls' emaciated midsections with the caption, "Inspiration" or seeing before and after pictures of weight loss where I think the 'before' picture looks better.

I am tired of feeling inadequate just because I don't get the dishes done one week, or didn't cross a couple (or anything) off of my to-do list for the week.

I'm tired of consoling my little students when they think they can't do something because they think they're quote, "stupid" or "not a good kid" (like, how does this type of lie get perpetuated anyway, is it engrained from birth?).  There are so many ways we feel imperfect in our lives.

I think part of the problem for some of us is not wanting to seem arrogant or something, so we continually try to tear ourselves down in an effort to make ourselves seem humble (can anyone else relate to that?). The older I get the sillier I am realizing that is. Just because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am a capable, beautiful, awesome person through Christ doesn't mean that I am arrogant-it just means I am appreciating God's handiwork in me! I think it makes God so sad to see his creation constantly criticize themselves and say they aren't good enough. It would be like if an artist's painting became sentient and suddenly started yelling at the artist that they are made wrong- ugly, too big/small, not the right brushes were used, or a MILLION other things. God is our artist and He DID make us perfect, so just accept your beauty (inside and out!) and get on with life! :)

For just a bit more inspiration, check out this blog my older sister did on a similar topic, she's ten times the writer I am, so you'll enjoy it far more I promise!

God Bless Beauties,
KJA

No comments: