Sunday, March 30, 2014

Devotional: Combating Lies 8

Good morning all! It's time again for a Sunday Devotional. My series right now is looking at different lies that we may believe about ourselves, and how to combat those lies using scripture. Here are number one, number two,  number three number fournumber fivenumber 6,  and number 7 if you are interested!


The eight lie is this: I don't have enough

The truth is: I have no lack. 

Key Scriptures:

Philippians 4:19
And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

Psalm 23:1
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.

I'm going to be honest with you and lay it out there that this is something I struggle with on a daily basis. I feel as though I have no excuse for this. I was brought up in middle class America with plenty of food and shelter, etc. However no matter how well cared for I am now there will always be someone who has more than me. Bloggers who have more clothes/accessories than I do, neighbors that have nicer houses/cars, people with more friends, the list could go on. 
Humans have this mentality for some reason that we get up, go to work, and make money so that we can buy things for ourselves to fill an empty house with more possessions that we could ever need, to what? Feel secure? 
Beyond monetary examples there are many ways humans feel they lack emotionally as well. Growing up many girls around me felt like they weren't special unless they had a boyfriend to tell them so. The adult version of this is The Bachelor/ette. We feel like we're not good enough unless we have a significant other to tell us we are. But the truth is that GOD is that someone for us! He will always provide for our needs, emotionally and otherwise. Why put your whole trust in a human who will ultimately break that trust (even unintentionally), when you can put your faith in someone who will be a constant, never ending source of love in your life?

I've been feeling this lie a lot lately. Sean and I have been talking about so many of the things we 'need' for the house, things I 'need' for hobbies like running and photography. It gets overwhelming at times to think of all the things a person needs to spend their hard earned money on. Dr. bills is a big one for me. I often times don't even put God in the equation when it comes to this issue. Sean and I work so that we can provide for ourselves and use on things we deem necessary. I am often surprised though to think of how little a human being can actually survive on, and yet still feel lacking sometimes, not necessarily lacking of stuff, but lacking in feeling fulfilled.

 I am so glad that God gives me all the reassurance I need that HE will always meet my needs no matter what and that I truly lack nothing when I put my trust in Him. As long as I remember that, I will never be wanting. 

What's your take on this week's lie?

God Bless, 
KJA




 

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I can totally relate to this. As a fashion journalist and blogger I see sooooooooo many things everyday I think I need and I don't! My kids see commercials on television which tell them what they "need" and we have to battle with this need vs. want everyday! Plus, there is so much peer pressure my kids face everyday at school regarding material items, it is insane! Thank goodness for Sundays! Going to church always brings my family back to reality. I love your Sunday posts, thank you for writing them! I'm sharing this post with my kids :-)