Sunday, May 11, 2014

Devotional: Combating Lies 12 and Happy Mother's Day!

Good morning all! It's time again for a Sunday Devotional. My series right now is looking at different lies that we may believe about ourselves, and how to combat those lies using scripture. Here are number one, number two,  number three number fournumber fivenumber 6number 7, and number 8number 9 , number 10 and number 11 if you are interested!


The twelfth lie is this: I am not very smart. 

The truth is: I have God's wisdom.


Key Scriptures:

Proverbs 2:6-7- For the Lord grants wisdom! From his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest. He is a shield to those who walk with integrity.

1 Corinthians 1:30- God has united you with Christ Jesus. For our benefit God made him to be wisdom itself. Christ made us right with God; he made us pure and holy, and he freed us from sin.

Ephesians 1:16-17 - I have not stopped thanking God for you. I pray for you constantly, asking God, the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give you spiritual wisdom and insight so that you might grow in your knowledge of God.

Some of you may not have struggled with your level of intelligence growing up, but I sure did. It wasn't that I wasn't smart-just...not as smart as I would have liked. I had extremely intelligent older sisters, friends who were way better at math and science than I was, and teachers who had to spend hours working with me just to get a simple concept (thanks Mr. Bloem!). But you know what? I love that God's wisdom has nothing to do with any of those subjects that I was terrible at in school. I mean, there is nothing wrong with being a whiz at calculus or chemistry (that's awesome if you are!), but for those of us not talented in those areas, it can really bring us down as we go through the first 22 or so years of our life. 
I love that the verse from Proverbs states, "He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest." Common sense! Not, "a treasure of the core subject areas" or, "a treasure of science and mathematics principles" but a treasure of common sense! God doesn't care if I got A's in school, He looks at my heart and wants me to ask Him for wisdom and knowledge. He will grant it to me if I simply seek Him and ask for it. He wants to share "spiritual wisdom and insight" with me so that I can live my life with integrity and project a spirit of confidence. I am smart, I have the wisdom of God offered to me-all I need to do is seek and ask Him, seriously how enticing is that!? Any insecurities about feeling intelligent (or not) can be wiped away because I have the knowledge of Christ within my reach, and that's a pretty amazing feeling. 



Also, Happy Mother's Day!! How could I let the day go by without mentioning my wonderful, beautiful mama who is truly the most compassionate, amazing woman that I know. I wouldn't be a fraction of the person I am today without her love and guidance. God gave her to me as the rock and foundation of my life and I thank Him everyday for having a mother who always trusted God to be the center of our lives. I believe it was her constant communication with God that kept our family together and her goofy, exuberant personality always adds joy to the lives of whomever she comes in contact with. Thanks for always loving me mama, no matter what kind of craziness I have worked through in life! I love you!



God Bless, 
KJA

No comments: