Monday, July 21, 2014

Outfit: 1950's Feather Hat



Hello my darlings! Did you all have a nice weekend? Last Friday I got to spend the day hanging out with my two sisters and three nephews. We went to a little water park and it was such a blast! The boys had much more stamina than we were expecting and we splashed and played for nearly two and a half hours, it was fantastic. My five year old nephew even found his 'girlfriend' from swimming lessons there, so his day was made. I think my favorite part of the day was when my three year old nephew was beginning to get tired and cold, he got all wrapped up in a towel and snuggled on my lap for, like a whole five minutes! Little boys rarely sit down, so those moments are such a treat and there's nothing quite as snuggly as a little kid wrapped in a towel. Peak cuddliness I tell you!


I feel such a fondness for this dress. My grandmother made it, and when I visit in a couple of weeks I'm going to ask her if she still has the pattern for it, because wouldn't this be the perfect dress to have in every color? I'm not sure whether she used patterns for her clothes or whether she just made them because she is awesome. I'm guessing she had patterns for at least some of her clothes. I'm determined to learn how to sew and get skilled enough at it to be able to do difficult patterns from say, the 30's and 40's. When I visit her we may just try a skirt, or something very simple for me to learn the basics of a machine. I did sew a pillow in 7th grade home economics, does that count?








I recently thrifted this hat and have been contemplating adding it to my shop. It is adorned all in feathers, which are so very delicate. I'm worried if I sent it through the mail it would fall apart! If anyone is interested, let me know! I also added several items to the shop this week, so go have a look-see if you want!
I'm also working on a hair tutorial for you for this style, as I realized I've worn it similarly in my last two posts. Hopefully it will be ready for you tomorrow around midday!







Have a blessed Monday everyone, and stay cool this week, ya?
God Bless,
KJA




1 John 1:7
But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.



Wearing:
Dress- Grandmother's
Bag, Hat, Belt- Vintage, thrifted
Shoes-  Buffalo Exchange
Lips- Pixi Shea Butter Lipbalm in Coral from my Birchbox

6 comments:

Sammi said...

This dress is soo gorgeous on you. The silhouette and color are perfect. And I love the hat!

xox Sammi
www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

Cathy said...

Beautiful dress! It looks difficult to sew, your Grandmother must be very skilled! Even with a pattern, the bunching is hard. It's a pretty color and style on you.

Ali Hval said...

Ah, your grandma is such a skilled seamstress! Wow, I can't imagine how delicate she must have had to be to get all those little seams and nips in just perfectly... it fits you so well, too. What a wonderful dress to have! And the color is gorgeous on you. The collar is definitely a fun little aspect of it.

I really adore that first picture in Sepia, too. All these pictures are in such a pretty, woodsy location!

I'm glad you had fun with the kiddos. Hopefully one day I'll find kids manageable and fun just like you. ;) I suppose that's why you're a teacher, you lovely soul, you!

Have a wonderful rest of the week, Miss Katie!!! <3

Kristian said...

I love how many of your dresses were ones your grandmother had sewn once upon a time (very impressed how you two are/were of a size because that fits like a glove on you!) So cool that you will be learning to sew with her. Do you have a sewing machine too?

Kristian said...

I love how many of your dresses were ones your grandmother had sewn once upon a time (very impressed how you two are/were of a size because that fits like a glove on you!) So cool that you will be learning to sew with her. Do you have a sewing machine too?

Jennifer Rainey said...

What a beautiful dress! Your grandmother is very talented. I can't imagine being able to make something like that on my own. You look just lovely! Such a cute hat, too!

Cheers,
Jenny